New beginnings; renewal; rebirth; regeneration
After spending the night in the underworld, regenerating from an old, tired man into a vigorous, healthy youth, the sun god Re would emerge, triumphant, into the dawn sky as the scarab beetle Khepri to begin a new day. The Egyptian word kheper meant ‘to come into being’ or ‘transform’.
This particular amulet, just under six centimetres in length, is made of limestone and part of the collection at the Garstang Museum of Archaeology in Liverpool (accession number E.1157). Its original provenance – where it comes from, and when – is, unfortunately, unknown; all we know is that it comes from Egypt.
- Fridge magnets are miniature mounted prints with a magnet on the back, and measure 13 cm × 10 cm
- They’re printed and mounted by a Liverpool-based independent art printer
- They’re printed on a baryta paper, using pigment inks. Both paper and ink are of archival quality, meaning they’ll last much longer than normal photographic prints
- Fridge magnets are posted are posted next working day. Items out of stock can be purchased, but take about a week to come back from the printers before being posted out to you
- Outside the UK is dependent on international delivery times
Own a piece of artwork from the walls of the Tate Liverpool! This photo was featured in the Garstang’s Tate Exchange Workshop in December 2017; an exhibition centered around the surrealism of the ancient Egyptian afterlife.
If you love this image but would like it in another format (mug, poster etc), please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your security is important to me, and I want you to feel at ease browsing my store. All payments are processed by PayPal and Stripe – internationally renowned payment companies – meaning I don’t store any of your financial information on this site. I am the only person who has access to this site, and I protect it with strong passwords and security software. I have an SSL certificate that protects your details as they’re passed through to PayPal/Stripe, and I keep all software and plugins on this site fully up-to-date.